Subscribe to my blog by email!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Sunday, August 14, 2011

New Beads this weekend

Went to our monthly ISLAGA (Indiana Society of Lampwork and Glass Artists) meeting yesterday.  As always, there was a great group of people there with much to talk about.  We all reminisced about our adventures at The Gathering in Louisville.  Sally Gurth was kind enough to do a demonstration on her beautiful African sunset beads.  Feeling really inspired when I got back home, I immediately fired up the ole' hothead torch and tried to put in practice what I had just learned.

I'm a really big fan of the beauty of the desert, so I adapted the bead as a desert sunset.  Now, you're gonna go OMG, that's awesome! - and I'd have to agree with you.  But to let you in on a little secret, it's all in the lighting!  In real life, this bead doesn't look NEARLY this vivid.  I leaned it up against a rock on the railing of the deck and the sun brought it to life!  Tell me what you think......I've got another one in the kiln right now that will look a little different. I'll debut it next time.
Also, while looking at a book at the meeting, I saw some other neat beads I wanted to emulate.  One is called an "End of Day" bead.  It's made with scraps of glass left over from other bead projects.  Sort of a cool way to use up all your glass without wasting any of it!  Here it is.  Now, only if I could get it to look this good when I wear it!  Maybe I need to invent a little lighting system. 
Also in the kiln is another bead that's my take on an aquarium.  You'll have to wait to see it til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment